Our physicians… Committed to you
Our goal at the Howell Allen Clinic is to provide attentive, individualized care to our patients. As a patient of the Howell Allen Clinic, you can expect:
- Friendly and expert health care.
- Answers to your questions and concerns.
- Advanced medical technology.
- Appointments that meet your needs.
Pre-register For an Existing Appointment
What to expect.
The Howell Allen Clinic offers comprehensive, coordinated specialty health care for you and your family. Please read the following information carefully for important information about your visit.
Prior to Your First Appointment
Please make sure to bring your patient packet in with you at the time of your visit.
- Print the New Patient Information Packet and the appropriate forms for specific doctor(s) .
- Print the Medical Release Form
- Complete each page using BLACK ink.
- Mail the completed forms to:
Howell Allen Clinic
Attn: Appointment Scheduler
2011 Murphy Ave., Suite 301
Nashville, TN 37203
- If you would like these forms mailed to you, please call
(615) 327-9543 or (800) 668-9410.
Note: These forms require Adobe Acrobat or other PDF Reader software. If you do not have the software on your computer, it can be downloaded by clicking here.
Past Medical Records
Please arrange to have your medical records and any diagnostic images (MRI, CT scan, X-rays) sent in advance or bring a copy of your results with you.
Insurance Filing Information and Patient Referral
Please bring your insurance card to every appointment. Patients are responsible for notifying the clinic of any insurance changes. A photocopy of your current insurance card will be kept in the file to ensure prompt and accurate filing. Co-pays, according to your insurance plan, are due at the time service is provided. We are happy to file your health insurance claim as a courtesy. However, ultimate financial responsibility rests with the patient.
If your insurance company requires a referral from your primary care physician for coverage of medical services by one of our neurosurgeons, please obtain a referral from the appropriate provider in advance. It is the patient’s responsibility to provide us with the required referral.
Self-pay, No Insurance
An Uninsured/Self-pay Discount (Financial Hardship) Program is available. This program provides a managed care-like discount to patients who qualify. For more information, call (615) 327-9543.
When you arrive at the Howell Allen Clinic, please register at the front desk, where the completion of all appropriate forms will be verified and necessary personal and insurance information is requested. Please arrive approximately 15 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time.
Once the registration process is complete, you will be escorted to the first available exam room, where you will meet with your physician for a neurological consultation.
During the neurological consultation, your physician will try to determine the basis of the problem by discussing your medical history.
Your physician may also perform a neurological examination. The parts of the examination depend on the history and the problem, but could include:
- Motor examination – checking muscle strength, mobility and reflexes
- Sensory examination – checking touch, vibration and position
- Cerebellar testing – checking coordination
- Mental examination – checking memory
- Cranial examination – checking eye and facial movements
After taking the history and doing the appropriate examinations, your physician may recommend further testing to confirm diagnoses. Common procedures needed for accurate diagnosis are X-rays, CT scans, MRI scans and myelograms.
Your first visit is usually an exam and consultation, which will last approximately one hour. However, you may need to have additional tests, so please reserve additional time for your first appointment.
To help us make your visit go as smoothly as possible, please bring the following items with you to your visit (if you have not already sent them to our clinic):
- Important medical information such as medical records, or test results (X-rays, or laboratory tests). This should be mailed to the Appointment Scheduler prior to your visit unless you were instructed to bring them to your appointment.
- Complete and bring the Patient Health History forms.
- Complete each page using BLACK ink.
- Bring your insurance card and co-pay.
- Bring all medications you are taking (or an accurate list) to each appointment. Be sure to include the medication name, prescribed dosage, prescribing physician’s name, and how often you take each medication.
If You Have Questions Regarding Your Care
If you have a life-threatening emergency, call 9-1-1 immediately. After hours, or in case of a non-life-threatening emergency, please call (615) 327-9543 or (800) 668-9410. There is a physician on call 24 hours a day.
Canceling an Appointment
If you need to cancel an appointment, please do so as soon as you know you will be unable to keep your scheduled appointment time, preferably 24 hours in advance.